Wednesday, June 5, 2013

White Chocolate Maraschino Cherry Cookies & Inner Peace



I've been in a bit of a writing slump/bad mood lately.  My brain has been completely preoccupied by negative thoughts relating to a negative person, and I've let it go too far.  In the last week I was even loosing sleep, going over, and over, the thing I would like to say to them...and how I would say it!  I was making myself loony, not to mention sleep deprived!  It's unbelievable how counteractive my day is by carrying around the weight of these thoughts; I'm grumpy, and short tempered with my kids, and I even was making horrible food choices, it's spiraling out of control!  So, I'm just going to let it go!  I'd much rather have my brain swirling with recipes and stories to share, than ranting and not taking the time to breath. 

Breath positivity in...Breath negativity out.
Much Better. 

These White Chocolate Maraschino Cherry Cookies are the perfect solution to any bad day/mood.  They are so moist and chewy, it's a revelation.  They do require a bit of premeditation, however, as the dough must be allowed to chill for at least 2 hours.  Chilling a cookie dough is a step I never really followed in previous recipes, I'm usually making cookies based on an immediate craving, and will need to eat them as soon as they are ready!  But, I've been experimenting with a few different recipes lately, that all use this chilled-dough method, and I must say, it's worth it.   Just as a chili or pasta sauce improves over time obtaining a deeper flavour from simmering all day, or even overnight, so does cookie dough!  Go Figure! 

Hope these cookies fill your day with light, positivity, and deliciousness!





White Chocolate Maraschino Cookies
Recipe adapted from: Averie Cooks


1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
about 1/3 cup diced maraschino cherries **patted dry**
3/4 cup white chocolate chips

In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, and set aside. 
In a large bowl beat the butter until smooth, adding the sugars and continue to beat until creamed and well combined.   Add the egg, cream, vanilla, and beat again until light and fluffy. 
Next add the dry to the wet mixture until just combined.  Add the cherries, and white chocolate chips, and fold in delicately.   Don't overmix or the cherries stain the dough...unless you want pink cookies, then go ahead! 

This is a really sticky and tacky dough because of the moisture from the cherries, it will be (slightly) easier to work with once chilled.  Make the dough into a mound or place on plate, and wrap in plastic wrap.  Refrigerate the wrapped dough for at least 2 hours.  If you skip this step the cookies will spread-mega.  Chill. 

Preheat oven to 350°F  
Place the chilled dough well-spaced, about 2 inches apart, to allow for spreading.  Bake for 8 to 10 minutes for a softer chewier cookie, or 11 to 13 for crunchier cookies.   Cool on racks and then devour!

Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. I used to hang out with a negative person (not a horrible person, just negative). She moved away, and all of a sudden I had so much more energy and my days seemed brighter. Negativity rubs off!

    These lovely cookies put me in a bright mood just thinking about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true! Glad these cheerie cherry cookies brightened your day <3 Jeez, Maybe that's what I should have called them:)

      Delete