Friday, January 17, 2014

Masala Chaat Popcorn


I love, love, love, the spices of  India.  Not sure why I've never thought of creating a popcorn this flavour before?!  I was really craving Indian food, but didn't have the cash to go out, and you know how I do Friday nights = Popcorn for dinner. This Chaat spiced popcorn was absolutely delicious, and very, very, spicy! Sky Punch!
For this popcorn, I used my Whirley-Pop, figuring the flavour of the coconut oil would be a welcome addition the the spices of the chaat.  I took it up another super spicy notch and added some All-in-One Indian Snack Mix, the same snack as I did in the Aloo Chana Chaat, a few months back.  Try adding some Indian snacks to the bowl if you wanna go all out, I swear you won't regret it.

Masala Chaat Popcorn
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil (optional)
2-3 Tablespoons Chaat spice (I used Shan brand)


Place Whirley-Pop over medium-high heat. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of coconut oil and popcorn kernels to the pot.  Close the lid and turn the crank slowly, and let the popping commence!  Keep turning the crank until you start to hear the popping slow down.   Remove from heat.   When popping stops, pour the popcorn into a large bowl.  I have a spray bottle of olive oil (thanks Mom!), so I add a few sprays, You could pour a cap full, or two, of Olive oil if you don't have spray.  After the oil, add a sprinkle of the chaat spice over the popcorn, and give popcorn a toss (you may need to toss with your hands), spray a bit more oil, and then repeat spice, until you get the amount of flavour you desire, also making sure the spice is well distributed throughout the bowl.  Add some Indian snacks, if you're going for it!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment