Friday, May 16, 2014

Trail Mix Popcorn!


I cannot believe it has been so, so, long since I've shared a popcorn recipe with you!  My air popper kicked the dust a few months back, and I kinda lost my popcorn mojo along with it.  I still had my Whirley-Pop as a back up, and was still faithfully eating my Friday popcorn meal, but just hadn't got my stuff together enough to post about anything I could get excited about.  But low and behold, for my Mother's Day present, my sweet little fam gifted me a new air popper!!  A beautiful red Cuisinart model of my dreams!  It was enough to reignite my popcorn inspirations, with a new muse at my side.


For this Trail Mix Popcorn, I used my coconut oil, honey and sea salt recipe, and built on it with the addition of cinnamon, and then a whole bunch extra yummy's.  I was originally just going to add nuts and seeds, But once I got started adding stuff, it was hard to stop!  You know how when you buy a big ol' bag of trail mix, and you end up picking out all the raisins & chocolate chips, crossing your fingers behind your back when somebody calls you on it?  Can't be just me?!
The addition trail mix to this sweet and salty popcorn is pretty beyond, plus you get to customize your trail mix your way, so you don't feel like something is missing, or end up picking through it for the good stuff you crave!

Trail Mix Popcorn

1/2 cup popcorn kernels
3 Tablespoons coconut oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1-2 teaspoons cinnamon
sea salt to taste
Trail Mix ideas: shredded or ribbon coconut; chocolate or carob chips; sunflower seeds; cashews; peanuts; almonds; M&M's; pumpkin seeds; raisins; pretzels; Etc. Etc. Etc!

I use a air-popper for my popcorn, and then do my best to remove any unpopped kernels.  My technique is to use two bowls, shake the the first bowl so the seeds fall to the bottom, and then transfer to the second bowl by hand.
In a small pot, melt your coconut oil, and add honey, stirring until the two blend (you could also do this step in the microwave).  Pour about half over the popcorn, sprinkle with sea salt and cinnamon, and give popcorn a toss (you may need to toss with your hands), then add the second half of the coconut oil & honey and another sprinkling of sea salt and more cinnamon, tossing again, so that it's distributed throughout the popcorn.  Finally add in all your Trail mix goodies! Because of their weight, the trail mix add-ins will naturally gravitate towards the bottom of the bowl, so toss as you nosh!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment