Friday, April 12, 2013

Popcorn. It's what's for dinner!


I make a nice dinner mostly every night of the week.  But on Fridays, we eat popcorn for dinner.  If you know me, you know I LOVE popcorn.
Always have. Always will.
I'll bake a yummy breakfast treat on Saturday, and cook up a veritable breakfast buffet on Sunday, and I almost always make a traditional Sunday dinner.  But on Friday, I don't cook.  nope.  I don't know when this tradition started for my own family, but my kids don't even question it.
Popcorn.  It's what's for dinner.

As a teenager my girlfriends and I would make the hugest bowls, and devour it all!  But being form the Kootenays, we do it a little bit differently.  No boring Butter and salt.  Our popcorn staple is Nutritional Yeast!  
Also know as Engevita Yeast and available powdered or in flakes, Nutritional yeast is an inactive yeast, and has kind of a nutty-cheesy flavour.  It is a complete protein and a good source of vitamins, and complex B-proteins, specifically B12. It is also naturally low in fat and is free of sugar, dairy, and gluten.

My husband refers to it as "Hippie Popcorn"...I just call it delish!

Kootenay Corn
1 Cup Popcorn Kernels
3 - 4 teaspoons Olive Oil/Flax Seed Oil/Butter
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1-2 teaspoons dill (optional)
salt and pepper to taste.

All these measurements are approximate, because popcorn is totally adjustable to individual tastes!  I use an air popper for my popcorn, and add about a teaspoon of Olive oil,Flax seed oil, or Butter, then shake salt & pepper, and dill all over and toss the popcorn in the bowl.  Repeat addition of oil, salt and pepper, dill, and toss again.  I usually do that twice and then add nutritional yeast at the end and give the bowl a small shake, rather than tossing, so the nutritional yeast doesn't fly into the air and make a mess.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment