Friday, October 18, 2013

Decadent Raw Cacao Brownies



One of the instructors at the gym was recently was discussing with class members, how you cannot out train a bad diet.  To this I totally agree!  You can't exercise, and then expect to go and nosh on cake and ice cream, and expect to see dramatic results!  But at the same time, even if you are eating extremely healthy, you won't get fit and toned without exercise!  Diet and exercise go hand-in-hand! 
There can certainly be allot more to it than that though, with our lives being so busy, and full of all sorts of stresses; which can all be contributing factors to weight gain, or distract us from our goals!   What we also discussed was how so many people feel entitled - you did the workout so you deserve that treat, or new shoes, or whatever.  We convince ourselves us this to justify the indulgence!  
This goes straight down to our spoiled children!  Myself, and my kids included!  I hardly even take my children shopping with me anymore, as even though we've already discussed before hand, how "we're only going to the store for this or that", "we are not shopping for toys", and "DO NOT ask me for anything".  **sigh** ...all the mama's out there, you hear me on this, right?


I do my workout every weekday morning, and maybe perhaps one day I won't want chocolate, but more realistically, I am going to crave chocolate!  And when that time comes, I would like to reach for a treat that won't omit my workout, and I don't have to feel any guilt over!  Filled with healthy nuts, cacao, and sweetened by dates, these brownies are decadent, and totally delicious!   Cut them into small bite-sized squares, for when that craving hits, and stick to your goals!

Raw Brownies 
Recipe Adapted from: Sweetly Raw

1 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 pecans
1 cup (about 13-15) pitted medjool dates
1/3 cup cacao powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon himalayan salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon water, or as needed

Line an 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper, and set aside.  Add the almonds to food processor, and pulse/blend until completely ground.  Add the pitted dates, walnuts, cacao, and salt, and blend until broken down. Add vanilla and water, and pulse to combine.  Squeeze a small amount in between your fingers - it should hold together, add more water if needed for a stickier consistency that will hold together.
Add brownie base to prepared dish, and press down evenly with fingers. Place dish in the fridge to firm up, while you prepare the frosting, which is totally optional.

Raw Chocolate Frosting
The original recipe calls coconut nectar, coconut butter, and coconut oil; none of which I had on hand!  I just improvised with coconut oil, and was pleasantly pleased with the results!

1/2 cup coconut oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/4 cup cacao powder
2 Tablespoons agave

Using a medium sized bowl, cream all ingredients together using a hand mixer.
Spread the frosting over the chilled brownie base, and place in the fridge or freezer to firm up completely.  

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%, chocolate cravings are inevitable. Most of the time I just stick to eating straight up dark chocolate but when I feel like getting fancy I love raw desserts!

    ReplyDelete