Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Honey Spiced Blood Orange Cake (Low Gluten, Low Carb)



Wanna know a secret?  I had never even tried a blood orange until now!  I don't even have a good excuse as to why?  I'd most likely chalk it up to cost.  Although, from what I read on the interwebs, they are only in season from January to April, and not necessarily stocked in all grocery stores.  Which is probably why I never tried them as a child, coming from a small town and all.  That, and we basically had a wee orchard, full of apple, pear, & plum trees, and grape vines, and a garden full of other fruits and vegetables.  We primarily managed to eat off our own land. So lucky!  I managed to score this bag of blood oranges 50% off, which if you know me: a good deal is my kryptonite, cannot resisit! 


Blood oranges are an absolutely beautiful fruit to admire, with a deep red flesh and a blushed rind.  If compared to a normal navel orange, the flavour and aroma are somewhat stronger.  They have a tart, sweet flavour, similar to a raspberry.  Also, the pigments of the blood orange happen to contain greater amounts of antioxidants than other oranges.  Bonus!



I was so inspired, by this jewelled fruit, that I dreamt up a recipe that would really showcase it's beauty.  I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I did!  It's full of the bright citrus flavour of the blood orange and paired with some earthy spices.  Nutrition wise, it's low in carbs and gluten content, has healthy fats, while still being light, and just lovely. 


Honey Spiced Blood Orange Cake 
Recipe Adapted From: Paleo Sweets Treats Cookbook

1 cup almond flour
3/4 cup light spelt flour
1 teaspoon  ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1/2 cup raw honey
Zest of 1 blood orange

Blood Orange & Honey syrup
1-2 blood oranges, use the zested one or peel one so the bitter pith is removed, then slice thinly
freshly squeezed blood orange juice
2 Tablespoons raw honey

Preheat the oven to 350°F  Grease loaf or cake pan with coconut oil.
Take the thinly sliced orange rounds, and line the greased pan.  In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and honey and stir until the honey is dissolved.  Pour the juice over the oranges, and place in the oven as it preheats, and you prepare the cake.  Allow about 15-20 minutes (turn halfway) of baking time,  so the oranges can soften and candy slightly.   
While the bottom/top is candying, make the cake!  
Using a medium bowl, add together the almond and spelt flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the the coconut oil, eggs, orange juice, honey, vanilla, and orange zest.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until well combined.
Carefully pour the batter over top of the candied oranges, spreading evenly.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, before inverting onto a plate to reveal the beautiful bottom of candied blood oranges, and allow to cool completely, before slicing and serving.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. What a pretty cake, I love the citrus and spices in this dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, Crystal... I just made this cake for my sister's birthday and it was awesome!! Thank you! I was looking for a sugar-free, low-carb cake recipe actually, and remembered this post. At first I thought it looked too complicated for little-ol-me, but it turned out great. I used clementines instead of blood-oranges, which probably made it a bit more tart, but that suits me. Even the kids loved it. You're awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, YOU'RE awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, and give me feedback on a recipe, it really, really, really, means the world!
    P.S. I miss seeing your face at CPL, hope the East Coast is treating you well <3

    ReplyDelete