Monday, September 2, 2013

Honey-Oat Rainbow Cookies!


Can you believe it's the first day of school tomorrow?  I can't really wrap my head around it!  I'm not a stay-at-home mom, so I'm not about to get a day free to myself, but I am going to get children back on a schedule.  Yay!  I think we all do a little better when we're on a schedule, as much as the monotony can be a bore, everybody in my house seems to perform a little better when we have our daily routine, and stick to it!

These colourful cookies are something special to stick in their lunch boxes for the first day back to class, and even if they go to a nut-free school you're still safe with this treat.                             
The hardest part is actually finding these chocolate covered candy coated sunflower seeds.  I made these cookies for the first time a few years back, and at that time the Bulk Barn in my area carried them, but have since stopped!  They may still at your local bulk barn though?  I finally located some rainbow seeds at Safeway along with the regular sunflower seeds, these particular ones are Spitz Rainbow Bitz.


Honey-Oat Rainbow Cookies

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 egg + 1 egg white
11/3 cup flour
2 cups oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chocolate-covered candy coated sunflower seeds




Preheat the oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar, and mix until smooth.  Add honey and eggs, and blend well.
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet, and stir gently to combine.  Finally add in the chocolate covered candy coated sunflowers seeds.
Drop onto cookie sheet, by about a Tablespoonful.  Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until golden around the edges, but slightly raw in the centre.  Transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool before storing.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment