Friday, September 27, 2013

Peanut Butter Popcorn!


Oh maaaaaan!  This popcorn!  It's the best/worst!  Everybody has their go to craving or comfort food, and if you haven't figured it out yet, popcorn is totes mine.  It's the best 'cuz it's soooo yummy, but the worst, "cuz I can't stop once I start!  I always crave the salty yeast covered Koots style popcorn, but lately have been venturing into a lot more sweet styles: with Nutty Caramel Popcorn, or Salty Sweet Coconut Oil Popcorn, and a few more flavour experiments that are still in the trial stages...aka: I ate the whole bowl before I took pics!




What I enjoy about this particular recipe is that it's gooey stickiness can be used for further experimenting.  How 'bout a peanut butter popcorn ball?!  Studded with peanuts, and chocolate candies, the peanut butter balls become a portable snack, or a party favour!  I think the peanut butter caramel would also taste great with puffed wheat, or maybe a breakfast cereal as well!  Going there - Stay tuned!


Peanut Butter Popcorn
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
pinch of salt
1/2 cup honey or agave
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

I use a air-popper for my popcorn, and then do my best to remove any un-popped kernels.  My technique is to use two bowls, shake the the first bowl so the seeds fall to the bottom, and then transfer popcorn to the second bowl by hand, leaving all the kernels behind.
Mix the honey and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Let it simmer for about 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and add the salt, and peanut butter. Stir vigorously until all the peanut butter is melted, then mix in the vanilla.
Pour about half of the peanut butter mixture over the popcorn, and give popcorn a toss.  Use a wooden spoon with a long handle, the peanut butter caramel is HOT!   Add the second half, and toss again - so that it's distributed throughout the popcorn!  Let cool for about 10 minutes before devouring  serving.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment