Friday, May 10, 2013

Tacofino's Chocolate Diablo Cookies






























Today being my Friday off means I start my morning at the gym, such an awesome way to start the day, 
I wish I could fit it in everyday.  The remainder of my day off is usually filled with grocery shopping, house cleaning, laundry, and yard work...you know, the usual.  But today I also needed an oil change, and switch my tires over to spring/summer tires, nothing out of the ordinary.  But I received the dreaded call, that I probably need close to $800 dollars worth of additional work done on my vehicle.  Noooooo!  This was the month I was gonna get back on track financially, not be over extending my self again!
This called for cookies.  Really chocolaty. Really serious. Right now. Cookies.


I recently saw this recipe featured in this Month's issue of  Chatelaine.   I was admittedly surprised that they had the Chocolate Diablo Cookies from the wildly popular, and synonymously West Coast British Columbian food truck: Tacofino;  and they had the recipe available to boot!  I had seen these cookies on that cool show Eat St a few years back, not even realizing that I could possibly have access to this to-die-for cookie recipe.  These cookies are so amazing, I love the spice from the fresh ginger and cayenne.  They could be named "Diablo" as much for their spice as for their sinful addictiveness.  Good thing I hit the gym this morning.  I think these cookies were my dinner.  Fair warning.





Chocolate Diablo Cookies


Recipe From: Tacofino Via Chatelaine

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
3 Tablespoon ginger juice or grated fresh ginger
1Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon  kosher salt or granulated sugar


Preheat oven to 375F.
Sift flour with cocoa powder, baking soda, cayenne and cinnamon in a large bowl, add in chocolate chips/chunks, and set aside.
Whisk eggs in a medium bowl, add in both sugars, oil, ginger and vanilla, and give a good stir. Stir wet mix into flour mixture until well combined.
If you want huge cookies -  use a 1/4 cup measure, scoop 6 portions of dough onto each baking sheet. Flatten cookies slightly with the palm of your hand and sprinkle dough with salt or sugar.  If you'd like smaller cookies - create about the size of a golf ball, again flatten with the palm of your hand, and sprinkle with salt or sugar.  These cookies don't have much spread, and are very thick and filling!
Bake in the center of oven until cookies start to crack, approx 11 to 13 minutes. They should be slightly undercooked and will remain fudgy in the middle.  Cool on wire racks.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment