Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Glory Salad



As much as I LOVE sweets, and baking them, and eating them; that indulgence is usually reserved for the weekends.  During the week I'm trying my best to stick to a Paleo style of eating, you know, no bread or rice, lots of veg and meat.  I've managed to lose 12 pounds since December, and had been working on 5 of those pounds over (and over again) up and down, for the last couple years - so this diet is worth sticking to! 
It took a bit of an adjustment to wean myself off of bread, and my lovely family would be lost without the format of Meat-Veg-Starch/Carb for our dinner meals, but modifying them to meet this Paleo diet is a cinch! 

One long time fave that I've altered is this Salad, based on the gorgeous Glory Bowl from the first of the Whitewater Cooks cookbook series.  The original recipe is a really filling dish with a base of brown rice, sauteed tofu, and toasted almonds.  A perfect feast for a long day of skiing at Whitewater, which contains a run for which this dish is named, in my hometown of Nelson, B.C.  - the most beautiful place on earth!

For my version I omitted the tofu and rice but kept the Spinach, shredded Beets and Carrots, and Almonds, all of which are still a perfect vehicle for this creamy dressing  - which I don't change in anyway because it is perfect as it is. 

Glory Bowl Dressing

1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 tbsp tahini paste


To prepare dressing, combine yeast flakes, water, tamari or soy sauce, apple cider vinegar and garlic in blender adding oil in a steady stream.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment