Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup & Trusting Your Mommy Instincts

Have you ever had on of those days?  2013 has so far been non-stop with those days, seriously. 

Since Christmas we have been battling one bug or another one after the other - it's like we've been cursed!  Chest cold, Stomach bugs, Norwalk, Strep Throat...and then yesterday my son's dayhome called in the afternoon...he had gotten sick in the van on the way to the park. Great.  This is also, a new to them (the dayhome) van they had just purchased on Friday. Super.
So I got out of work for the afternoon, and got him from the dayhome, cleaned him up and put on a load of laundry.  Meanwhile, he's so hyper I have to send him outside to play!  All better, yay!


And then at 2:00 am the next morning, my daughter comes into our room crying in pain - she thinks her ear drum is about to explode!  I tried to give her pain meds, and a warm compress, but an hour later I wasn't back to sleep and neither was she.  I hate hospitals, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to be able to do anything to help her.  But my husband started making me paranoid about her going deaf and or some godforsaken thing, so off to the Emergency Room we go. ugh.  So, we end up waiting for 3 hours, for them to tell us she just needs to ride it out, and let her body fight off the infection.  Kinda wish they could have given her something for the pain, but glad she's not going deaf, and that we can go home!



6:30 am - crash for a couple hours? or stay up and do dinner prep? Sleeeeeeep!




Buuuuut ,we will still need something for dinner at the end of a long sleep deprived work day, and normally I go home and walk the dog on my lunch break, instead today I threw all of this in the slow cooker in approximately 15 mins, and it turned out delish!









I might be running on empty, and may have lost my mind at this point, but I'm pretty sure you can still trust my taste buds(?!).   And, If I can throw this together like a maniac, I'm sure you can do it at a more leisurely pace, and have a loverly dinner waiting for you at the end of the day.  Aaaand for all the mommy's out there... trust your instincts, and get your sleep!

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup 

3 Chicken boneless skinless breasts
3 cups chicken broth
1 can (796ml) whole tomatoes
1 can (540ml) black beans
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp chipotle hot sauce - I used President's Choice brand
1Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1Tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste

Serve with:
shredded cheese; cheddar or monterrey jack would work well.
fresh sliced/diced Avocado, or Guacamole
sour cream
fresh squeezed lime
chopped cilantro
tortilla chips

In slow cooker, stir together chicken broth, onions, garlic, black bean, corn, spices, and canned tomatoes - I squeezed the whole tomatoes in my fist to break them up - if your family prefers a less chunky soup you could blender them.  Add raw chicken breasts cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 7-8 hours.
Remove chicken breast and shred in a bowl with a fork.  Return shredded chicken to slow cooker, salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with your favorite toppings.  For an even more substantial meal you could serve on top of rice.

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment